-Based on Salesforce Trailheads-
Organisations typically have specific needs which aren’t met by standard Salesforce functionality. Fortunately the Salesforce platform allows you to easily build custom objects and fields. These allow you to create a unique system which stores data just right for your organisation.
Custom objects would be used to store records of a specific type of data, such as “Candidates”. Whereas custom fields would be used to track relevant information about each candidate, such as “years experience”. Custom fields can be of different data types.
To create a custom object:
- From Setup, enter Objects in the Quick Find box then select Objects
- Click New Custom Object
- Fill out the fields such as Label, Object Name etc
- (To set up a new tab) under Object Creation Options, select Launch New Custom Tab Wizard
- Click Save
- On the New Custom Object Tab page, select a style
- Keep the defaults for the rest of the Tab Wizard, and click Save
To Create a new field:
- From Setup, click Create | Objects and click the object’s name
- In Custom Fields & Relationships, click New
- Select data type and click Next
- Follow steps and Click Save (the steps are different depending on the data type)
It’s recommended that you create help pages for each custom object, so users understand and know how to use them. To create a simple help page , using Visualforce:
- From Setup, enter Pages in the quick find box then select Visualforce Pages
- Click New
- Enter a label for your page
- Enter a unique name for the page
- In the Visualforce Markup area, enter information about custom object. For example dependencies, next steps, or other tips for using the object.
- Next, reference the help page you just created from the Object it pertains to. To do this: edit the custom object, select Open a window using a Visualforce page, choose the page you created, click Save
h1>Help for the Candidate Object
The Candidate object is for identifying and tracking individual candidates for job positions.
Sort candidates by Name, Location, Last Modified, and Prospect Rating.
Now when people click “Help for this Page” on the custom object they’ll see the page you created.
There are some best practises for creating custom objects and fields. For example:
- Make sure the naming is unique and easy to understand
- Choose field types etc which are clean and efficient